Digital Photography & Imaging Project 1: Collage

7/4/2022 - 21/4/2022
Week 2 - Week 4
Leong Jiahui
0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD61204103262 / Digital Photography and Imaging
Project 1: Collage 


Content



INSTRUCTIONS 


PROJECT 1A: PHYSICAL COLLAGE 

Progress
Week 2 ( 7/4/2022 )
Gathering of Materials

fig 1.1 & fig 1.2 Gathering of Materials & collage materials (7/4/2022)

We were required to get magazine cutouts/printouts to make our physical collage. Luckily I have a Uniqlo magazine with me I could use, so my friend and I tore it up. I've always been into scrapbooking/journaling, so this project is exciting.

Pre-composition 1
fig 1.3 Pre-composition 1 (7/4/2022)

For the 1st pre-composition, I went with a white A4 paper and arranged my elements on it. I didn't have any design principles in mind and just went with the flow. I think it may look better with a darker background, or at least a coloured one. 


Pre-composition 2
fig 1.4 pre-composition 2 (7/4/2022)

Tore out the magazine cover for the yellow background. Definitely like a coloured background more! The lab lighting is terrible for photos and the collage materials have a glossy surface 💀💀

Pre-composition 3
fig 1.5 pre-composition 3 (7/4/2022)

Went for a horizontal layout this time! It may be the background colour problem, but I'm definitely liking this one less than the other 2. Technically we're only supposed to make 3, but I'm going to try and make one more. 

Pre-composition 4
fig 1.6 pre-composition 4 (7/4/2022)

Went with a whole new set of elements and focused more on implementing the golden ratio. I used more negative space than the previous attempts, too. 


WEEK 3 (14/4/2022)
After the feedback, I decided to narrow down my choices to pre-com 1 and pre-com 4, so I made some slight adjustments and went with them.

fig 1.7 composition 1 (14/4/2022)

fig 1.8 composition 2 (14/4/2022)

I changed the colour of the background from their initial compositions. For composition 1, I changed the black background to bright yellow. I think yellow was able to encompass the bright bubbly sunshiney feeling of the theme of 'love' more. 
For composition 2, I changed the white background to a black one. I think that helped provide more contrast and emphasis to the elements of the collage. 
Now I just need to pick one from the two.




PROJECT 1B: DIGITAL COLLAGE 

PROGRESS
WEEK 3 (14/4/2022)
fig 2.1 Digital collage elements (14/4/2022)

For the digital collage, we were given a set of pictures to work with. I cropped out all the parts I wanted so I could easily refer back to them when working on my pre-compositions. 

Pre-composition 1 
fig 2.2 pre-composition 1 (17/4/2022)
I really liked the aesthetics for the pre-com 1. I cropped out circles from the mountain.png and used the paper airplanes as well as the TV. Did use the grids for reference, but just went with the flow with no specific idea in mind. 

fig 2.3 pre-composition 2 (17/4/2022)
This pre-com started off with the golden ratio in mind but went off rails somewhere along the way. I feel like I wasn't technical at all with the project and I'm pretty sure we're supposed to, at least to a certain degree...


fig 2.4 pre-composition 3 (17/4/2022)
Went with a triangular look for this one! I feel like I could play with the background colour more to make the elements pop. 



FINAL OUTCOME

In the end, I decided to go with composition 2 for my physical collage and pre-com 3 for my digital collage. I have tried 2 different coloured backgrounds for it and liked both but I decided to go with the pink background as y final submission. However, I attached both variations here because they both deserved to be showcased.


FEEDBACK
WEEK 3 (14/4/2022)
Mr Martin and my classmates prefer Pre-composition1 & 4 more, as they have a better overall composition. Mr Martin suggested that I try experimenting with a lighter background for Pre-com 4 to go better with the overall theme of 'love'. He also suggested that I put more emphasis into the golden ratio for it, since that was what I was intending to portray. 

WEEK 4 (21/4/2022)
Mr Martin liked my overall composition for the pre-coms but prefers 2 & 3 as they have a clearer focal point. 


REFLECTION 
I had a surprisingly fun time making the collages! Doing this exercise, especially project 1B, taught me the basics of photoshop. 
Throughout this project, I have observed that composition plays the biggest part in any collage we make. It is important to have a focal point and a visual hierarchy to provide a flow to our work so it better conveys the message to the viewer. 
Besides that, I also learned to make use of limited resources. Providing us with a limited set of photos is a good way of training us to come up with different compositions with the same few photos. It is also interesting to see what my friends have managed to come up with and how different and distinct they are despite being created from the same set of photos.
Overall I did not find this assignment a hassle at all and enjoyed the process a lot. 

Comments