Design Research Methodology Project 1: Proposal

Week 1 - Week 4 
1/9/2022 - 22/9/2022
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
RES60604 / Design Research Methodology
Project 1: Proposal 


Content: 

Proposal Drafts
WEEK 1 (1/9/2022)
We are required to select a topic based on the specialization we have selected for our course and conduct research on it.  This module is the preparation of groundwork for the dissertation module in the next semester.

WEEK 2 (8/9/2022)
Proposal draft 1

This was more challenging than I initially expected it o be. The first feedback gave me a clearer image and direction of how I should proceed with the task, but at the same time also killed most of my enthusiasm and excitement towards this module. I am reconsidering my topic. Hopefully, by next week I will be abe to come up with a more accessible topic in terms of research articles (cause wow minimalism is NOT IT) but at the same time being something I’m passionate about. 

WEEK 3 (15/9/2022)
Proposal draft 2

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTtllM5jVyv9FpzIW9i4o9BHLrrc0ph3JJqBmJpllp4XuyH4W-ry9tA1KkormXDgxcmr6qmcOG4lsuU/pub

I was getting very frustrated with how my research problem was not greenlit given how excited I was about it (given how everything ended on the prev week, I never learn, do I?) I understand where Dr Hayati is coming from, though. Having a problem to be researched instead of just doing a comparative study is surely more challenging and impactful in a way, but god, it was hard.  I grew even more frustrated when I couldn’t find any recent controversial misrepresented character designs. Yes, Genshin Impact does have some recent outbursts on Twitter on its character design, but it was mostly just trolls and the “woke culture” talking. After all, you can’t go around criticizing a game and then proceed to demand in-game currency compensation from the same game and expect people to treat you seriously.
After doing some digging, I finally stumbled upon the…interesting side of games that might give me some content for research— Chinese dress-up/ emperor games. Like, have you SEEN those ads? Buckle up, we’re going down the rabbit hole. 

WEEK 4 (21/9/2022)
Proposal Draft 3
Yes, I changed my topic for the 3rd time. But not too far from my previous topic. Still on culture representation, the new direction I’ve taken in my research is to “Raise awareness of the importance of video game character design in intercultural and diversity education”


Final Proposal Outcome



WEEK 7 (13/10/2022)
We were given another chance to revise our proposals after the feedback session. Here are the revised versions: 

Revised Proposal: 


Revised Proposal Slides: 


Feedback 

WEEK 2 (8/9/2022)
General Feedback: Narrow down the topic chosen, do more reading on topic chosen. 
Specific Feedback: 
  • Very broad, narrow down in character design 
  • Minimalistic design in good brand value. 
  • Choose 1 movie, and pick analysis character, see if there’s minimalist, can choose between different movies.
  • Use publish papers or reliable sources like Disney official website
WEEK 3 (15/9/2022)
General Feedback:
  • Refer to journal articles that are written by more 
  • All statements/claims made must be supported by existing articles and researches. If none, it’s an assumption and is arguable. 
  • Define everything as detailed as possible
Specific Feedback: 
  • Make sure the research topic is relevant to more recent games as the issue has improvised drastically in the past 5 years. 
  • Older research may no longer be relevant. Find ones that are within the recent 5 years. The older ones can be used for comparison purposes
  • identify a problem to be solved instead of just an analytical study.
  • can choose poorly represented or no represented

WEEK 4 (21/9/2022)
General Feedback:
make sure to have a title for the research 

Specific Feedback: 
  • good to include the specific game title in the topic or the genre of the game
  • Include target demographic in terms of age group (can look at the age group for the genre of the game if cannot find data for specific game data)
  • do away with the term “education” 
  • Be sure to look into the definitions of “intercultural” and “cross-cultural” and decide on which I want to focus on in the research
  • Hypothesis is optional. 
  • The research Problem needs to be more descriptive instead of a statement. “it is assumed that not everyone is…, so his research is …” 
  • For the article that is not yet published, the abstract can still be cited. Can also email the author to request the paper. 
  • Use different verbs for objectives. 

Comments