Design Research Methodology Project 2: Critical Review

Week 5 - Week 7
29/9/2022 - 13/10/2022
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
RES60604 / Design Research Methodology
Project 2: Critical Review


Instructions

Critical Review Drafts 

WEEK 5 (29/9/2022)
Finding and refinding articles for the critical review was exhausting. Through endless searching, I’ve managed to dig up more related articles from the proposal phase, proof that I have grown more accustomed in data collection. I have also finally gotten around using Mendeley to ease my critical review process. Besides that, I have finally grasped the requirements of an accurate APA referencing style. My respect for academic researchers have once again reached a new high and I can’t wait to continue this steep learning curve to see where it will bring me.

WEEK 6 (29/9/2022)
Reading these scholarly articles makes me question my sanity. Adapting to reading on screens for a long time wasn’t too big of a problem since I read ebooks a lot, but the complex content and the vocabulary really made me blow a fuse. 
Mendeley as a platform was very helpful in highlighting and annotating the articles. It helped me organise my thought process and understanding of each article better. 

WEEK 7 (14/10/2022)
Reviewing and studying the strengths and the flaws of each article have really helped my get a better understanding on how to structure and design my research. By writing the critical review, I have also become more mindful of the scholarly ways of writing. It was honestly a challenge for me as I tend to use a rather casual tone in my writing, Overall I’d say I’ve learned a lot from this assignment and can’t wait to get started on the final task.

Points compilation from Mendeley: 

Final Outcome



Feedback

WEEK 5 (29/9/2022)
General feedback:
  • Take note on APA referencing style
Specific feedback:
  • Topic a bit long
  • Rationale don’t use ‘I’
  • Take note on spacing
  • Use full page, minimise images
  • Split objective into 2 ( cultural representation & how effective it is)
  • Amend APA referencing (indents & spacing!)

WEEK 6 (29/9/2022)
General feedback:
  • Make sure to download the research articles instead of just bookmarking them as links may be disabled after
  • Do not use first person. Use words like ‘researcher’ or by name
Specific feedback:
  • Misunderstanding of the task. Do not prepare 5 critical reviews but instead summarise each article in Mendeley, then prepare one critical review that includes all 5 of the articles
  • It is okay for the articles to not be directly related to one another. Extract relevant information from each article as I see fit and compare accordingly.
  • Utilise mendeley to review each article

WEEK 7 (14/10/2022)
General feedback:
  • can try using different colour codes when highlighting
  • Refresh on in-text citation according to the APA format
Specific feedback:
  • Put page number when writing a direct quotation
  • Use more professional connecting words, like ‘subsequently’ and ‘nevertheless’ etc etc

Comments