Video & Sound Production Final Project: Stop Motion

Week 10 - Week 14
31/10/2022 - 28/11/2022
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
VSP 60104 /  VIDEO AND SOUND PRODUCTION
Final Project: Stop Motion 


Instructions

length: 30s
aspect ratio: 16:9
fps: 5-8
shots: 5
mainly wide and full body shots, lesser close-ups
stop motion apps are recommended for phone
decide what medium of stop motion

inspo

theme ideas: 
Social awareness 
1) buckle up - safety belt 
2) blood donation 
3) drink & drive 
4)adopt don't shop
5)Procrastination (time management)

Others: 
1) music video 30s snippet


Process 

WEEK 10 ( 31/10/2022)
I decided to go with idea 5, a stop motion with a procrastination theme. The title of the stop motion will be "Tomorrow Today" 
After the visual research, I think the paper-cut stop motion will suit my style and overall narrative best. I really like the stop-motion work done by Margaret Scrinkl on Youtube, and her work is my main inspiration. 

Final Project Proposal: 

Storyboard:

fig 1.1 storyboard ( 29/10/2022)

WEEK 11 (7/11/2022)
After getting some feedback from Mr Martin, I was told that my story lacked impact or the "wow factor". Hence causing the flow to fall flat. We discussed more on the potential scenes that can be added to make the overall story more dynamic. For example, the final "Friday" scene can be the protagonist rushing through her work while getting distracted by all the activities she has been doing over the week all at once. 

Therefore, some scenes were scrapped and replaced with some (hopefully) better alternatives. 

WEEK 12 (14/11/2022)
Commence the cutting! 
It was an easy decision to choose between hand-drawing my elements or printing them, but ultimately both needed a lot of cutting. I roped my sister into cutting them together with me speed up the process 👀👯
There were elements which I drew myself like the hands and watch since I couldn't find any suitable ones I wanted online. 
fig 1.2 materials (20/11/2022)

WEEK 13 (21/11/2022)
Filmed the stop motion using a stop motion app from the comfort of my own home because I couldn't make it back to campus 😢 There were unavoidable shadows but I still tried my best to make the most of the resources I have.
fig 1.3 shortlisted videos (26/11/2022)
Believe me when I said stop motion was a lot of work. I already tried my best to work systematically and efficiently, but it still took me a little over 3 hours to film... 40 seconds of content. 
There was a lot of trial and error and reshoots, but overall I still think it was a good attempt. The stop motion app was my life saver.


The Editing process: 
fig 2.1 editing process (29/11/2022)
I scavaged the net for the sound effects I need. The final video gave a cute vibe and I sort of dig it. 

Final Outcome

fig 3.1 Stop Motion Animation- "Tomorrow Today" Final Outcome (29/11/2022)


Feedback

WEEK 10 (31/10/2022)
The idea is solid, can think more about the direction of the story. A storyboard is compulsory. 

WEEK 11 (7/11/2022)
The overall story felt too linear and flat. Can be boring to viewers. It requires more interesting elements to make it more visually appealing. 


Reflection

We have made it to the end of the module! 🙌🎉
This module has been a tough one and alongside Interactive Design, became the module that gave me the most burnout. This task was the most interesting one and I got to experience shooting a stop motion for the first time. Honestly, I didn't know how stop motions were done prior to this, but taking a series of photos was never what I imagined it to be. 
Editing this was less of a pain than expected. In fact, I did have a lot of fun. Not as fun as editing the production shoot trailer, but still. 
Overall it was A JOURNEY alright. Given how many holidays landed on Monday this semester, we barely met Mr Martin but somehow we still survived. I mean, I barely did, but I'm still here so that's all that matters. 
Cheers to that 🍻

Comments