Information Design: Exercises

Week 1  - Week 
11/1/2023 - 
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD 60504 / INFORMATION DESIGN
Exercises 


Instructions

EXERCISE 1: Quantifying Data

WEEK 1 (12/1/2023)
In this exercise, we are required to get our hands on objects we can categorize and quantify like Legos and Buttons. I, unfortunately, have neither of those so I settled for my paperclip pile. They could be more presentable but if they work they work. 
First, I categorized them into their respective piles and started counting. They surprisingly amounted to a whole number -70.
fig 1.1 paperclip counting (15/1/2022)
Is this where all the typographic systems come into play? I arranged them using the radial system. Maybe a plain background would've been ideal, but this was the only spot in my place that had decent enough sunlight to take clear pictures. And I thought the pattern background was a good idea when I did it. Now though...? Not so much.
fig 1.2 paperclip arranging (15/1/2022)

Next, I started scribbling on how I could quantify the data well and this was what I came up with:
fig 1.3 quantifying data (15/1/2022)

Final Outcome

fig 1.4 Exercise 1 Final Outcome (16/1/2023)


WEEK 2 (19/1/2023)

This week, we are assigned a task to create another infographic, this time utilizing the L.A.T.C.H concept learned in the FLIP classroom. The examples shown were all Pokemon, and unfortunately, I do not play Pokemon. Hence, I decided to make something related to games I'm more familiar with, like Mario or Fire Emblem. 
fig 2.1 infographic concept sketch (20/1/2023)
With the concept sketch in mind, I started to build up the infographic using images sourced online. I used Photoshop to mask out parts I needed as well as Illustrator to refine the map. So far, I have covered Location, Category and Hierarchy, but am having a bit of an issue implementing Alphabet and/or Time. 

fig 2.2 infographic process in Illustrator (20/1/2023)

Here's the layout I eventually settled for:
fig 2.3 Exercise 2 final layout (20/1/2023)

However, the colours didn't quite sit right with me. Everything looked too vibrant for me, so I decided to experiment with some filters and edited the colours a bit. 

Final Outcome
fig 2.4.1 Exercise 2 Final Outcome (20/1/2023)

The breakdown: 
fig 2.4.2 Final Outcome according to LATCH (20/1/2023)








 

Comments