Information Design: Project 1

Week 3 - Week 7
26/1/2023 - 23/2/2023
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD 60504 / INFORMATION DESIGN
Project 1: Instructable Infographic


Instructions

Project 1: Instructable Infographics poster 



WEEK 3 (26/1/2023)
This week, we were briefed to begin our Project 1, creating our own infographic based on any of the videos from the youtube channel Pasta Grannies. We are to present our layout sketch by next week.
Hence, I begin the process by browsing through the extensive collection of videos on the channel to find something easy interesting to do. Considering my artstyle and the time constraint, these are the top 2 criteria of my selection of video:
  1. looks colourful and aesthetically pleasing
  2. under 10 minutes 
  3. has sufficient info (eg. measurements)
Here are a few shortlisted videos after what felt like a very long time of watching delicious cooking videos in the middle of the night:  
Ultimately, I decided to settle for pasta pie! It's such a funky combination, it's colourful and checks off all the boxes. 
fig 1.1 Pasta Pie by Pasta Grannies - reference material (26/1/2023)

To start off the process, I watched the video to breakdown the ingredients, tools, steps and some visual references for the infographic. Despite the video being less than 4 minutes, the breakdown took far longer. 
I also looked through the comments to get more intel, not just from the pasta grannies community (who appears respectfully sceptical because... uncooked pasta?! In a pie? Same man same) who started debating about alternative ingredients or how the pie will taste so dry but the channel itself has also replied to many of these comments, providing further details to points in the video. 
Also happened to learn about a random commenter's diabetic background. Needless to say, this was a very different side of youtube than the one I am usually on. 

fig 1.2.1 video breakdown process (27/1/2023)

I compiled all the information in a miro board. The more I know about the recipe the more bizarre the whole thing sounds. I want to try it very badly, but not enough to make it myself. After all, Germama & Lucia didn't even tell us how long we're supposed to bake this for! Sneaky baking granny besties. I see what you did there, gatekeeping secret recipes. And who could blame them? The pie turned out looking bomb af. 

fig 1.2.2 Video breakdown on miro (27/1/2023)

Moving on to the visual research part of the process. I started looking up "cooking recipe infographics" on google, then tried "baking recipe infographics". 
As you could probably tell, some of them looked pretty similar. What can I say? I have a type. 

fig 1.2.3 visual research/moodboard (28/1/2023) 

Off we go to layout and assets sketching now. I based the layout on the vertical layouts from my visual reference.
fig 1.2.4 layout sketch (1/2/2023)

fig 1.2.5 assets progress (1/2/2023)

WEEK 5 (9/2/2023)
Cartwheeled back to pasta grannies after our trip to Tokyo. Good times pass so fast. Back to reality now, I am realising that sketching on procreate may not be the best idea, hence, I will now continue the rest of my assets on illustrator. 
fig 1.2.6 assets progress (14/2/2023)

fig 1.2.7 more assets progress (14/2/2023)

After some grinding, here are all the assets completed in Illustrator: 
fig 1.2.8 completed assets (15/2/2023)
Moving on, it's time to draw the main pasta pie illustration. Will be doing it on Procreate because I need to save time. Time to hop over to Procreate, see you there. 

Main Illustration Process
fig 1.3.1 Pasta pie illustration process (15/2/2023)
I honestly have no idea how this would go, as I'm not familiar with food paintings at all, let alone digital food paintings. Decided to just go with the flow and have fun with this. 
fig 1.3.2 Pasta pie illustration process (15/2/2023) 

fig 1.3.3 Pasta pie Illustration process video (15/2/2023)

With my skill level, I'd say this turned out pretty okay. 

Instructable Poster Process

Now that's dealt with, it's time to carry on with the infographic. Taking Germama & Lucia's workspace/kitchen as inspiration, I want to the background resemble a wooden plank. However, seeing that the colours of the illustration will pop more with a darker background, I decided to use a black background with a slight wood texture. 
fig 1.3.1 Germama & Lucia's baking table (15/2/2023)

Here is how my draftiest of all drafts could ever draft turned out:
fig 1.3.2 preliminary draft (16/2/2023)
Yeah there is no freaking way any text will fit into this. After getting some feedback from Mr Hafiz, I decided to make the main illustration smaller, which is a problem because I drew the pie and the slice together. Now I have to head back to Procreate to separate the whole pie from the slice so I can have more freedom with rearranging the layout.

fig 1.4.1 title font choices (18/2/2023)
The 3rd one is an easy win I guess? I am also having difficulty choosing which numbering style I wanted to go for. The first one looked cleaner but the 2nd one felt more vibey.
fig 1.4.2 numbering style choices (18/2/2023)
Not wanting to stress over my first draft, I whipped together everything and came up with this:
fig 1.4.3 first draft (18/2/2023)
Everything felt very crowded, doesn't it? The vibes ain't it. Time to shatter all my fundamental designs and REALLY mix things up this time. 
fig 1.4.4 second drafts (18/2/2023)
Sorry, I lied. Apparently my "changing things up" only involves colours. And shortening the descriptions a little. I'd like to believe that I'm usually better than this. Maybe I'm too hasty. Let's try again tomorrow. 
fig 1.4.5 third and last drafts (20/2/2023)
Fundamentally, all the posters I made are the same, just rearranged. Landscape def worked better IMO, I even had space to add in an ingredients section. Buuut I'm submitting both because I can't keep doing this and being stuck here there's still so much to do and I want to go on my sem break on time 🤡💀💀

Animated Infographic

To begin the process, I started out with a storyboard of how I wanted the sequence to go. I also searched and downloaded the various sfx & bgm I need. 
fig 2.1.1 Storyboarding (22/2/2023)
Next, I will proceed to separate the layers in preparation for the animation on Ae. 
I found a piece of very Italian music to go along with the video so animation was a happy process with the music I like. I will add further sound effects in Premiere Pro. Here's how the test animation for the intro turned out: 
Do you know what gives me depression? This does. Is it too late to add our own input to the final project voice-over? I'm really GOING THROUGH it...
fig 3.1.1 going through my five stages of grief (23/2/2023)
Didn't document the rest of my animation because I was on autopilot, but I mostly played around with the bounce effect for the rest of the animation because it's undeniably the easiest animation effect, and it looks good so...
fig 3.2.1 Final video compilation (25/2/2023)
Adding various sound effects and bgm to it. I am finally going to be free from this project! It felt like forever, especially while juggling various (equally draining) other tasks. This was nowhere near perfect, but I'm satisfied with the attempt, especially with the limited time frame. I used to hate Ae with a passion from previous modules, but I feel like this sem had modules that really forces me to use Ae, and I hate that it's growing on me. 
fig 3.2.2 sem 2.5 in a nutshell (25/2/2023)

Final Outcome

Pasta Grannies Instructable Poster
fig 4.1.1 Pasta Grannies Instructable Poster Final Outcome (25/2/2023)


Pasta Grannies Instructable Video
fig 4.1.2 Pasta Grannies Instructable Video Final Outcome (25/2/2023)


Feedback

WEEK 5 (9/2/2023)
Mr Hafiz thought my layout draft looked promising. He suggested I get to work with my assets and finalise a draft so he could give a more concrete feedback.

WEEK 6 (16/2/2023)
Mr Hafiz suggested that I reconsider the elements I wanted to show as my current layout is looking too cramped. He also suggested that I rethink the position of my main graphic. Did it have to be so huge? 

Comments