Environment Design Exercises & Project 1

Week 1 - Week 10
29/8/2023 - 31/10/2023
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD 61904/ ENVIRONMENT DESIGN 
Exercises & Project 1


Instructions

Project Brief

You are tasked with series of multiple exercises as listed below and are required to complete it within 10 weeks of learning and adapting to the fundamentals of Environment Design.  

  • Perspective drawings  
  • Composition  
  • Value painting 
  • Ambience 
  • Color management 
  • Vignette set design 
  • Photo bashing 
Submission:  
Complete Exercise Sketchbook. Note that each progression to be drawn on 2000 X 3000 pixels 150 dpi 16:9 ratio landscape for weekly practice.  

WEEK 1 (29/8/2023)

To-do:
  • Read MIB & Rubrics 
  • Look for an existing IP to focus on
  • Sketch some environment designs with different styles
  • Look for exterior and Interior designs 

Lecture 

Project brief in Mr Kannan style: 

Exercise 

Fig 1.1.1 Exercise mood board

To start off the project, I brainstormed some of my beloved IPs and compiled a mood board consisting of their environment design. Some of the IPs include Gravity Falls, Luigi's Mansion, Hollow Knight, Little Nightmares, Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Three Houses. My plan? There was no plan. I was just going to wing it. 

Perspective Studies 

Fig 1.2.1 Perspective studies 

To get myself more familiarised with the perspective mumbo jumbo, I snatched images I found while building my moldboard, be it irl sceneries or art from games. I then start breaking down the perspective grids which I hope makes sense. 

Environment Sketches

Moving on, I started drafting and playing around with environment sketches. I used this stage from Hollow Knight and expanded from there. The theme I went with was Temple in the Swamp, so I started looking up photos of ancient temples as a reference. A problem with these sketches though, is them being a bit too rough, with no proper line art, making the details look messy and undone. Still, that's the whole point of it being a sketch. I'll try the line sketch method for the next concept. 


Fig 1.2.2 Concept 1: Temple in the Swamp

Fig 1.2.3 Concept 1 environment sketches progress

The next concept I tried was the Desert Dome. Nothing revolutionary, but I played around with greyscale compositions for the second sketch, and focused less on the details, instead focusing on the bigger shapes & silhouettes. I find this shape easier in navigating the big picture. Will continue to try out this method in the coming exercises. 
Fig 1.2.4 Concept 2: Desert Dome

Feedback

Focus on the main focal building and build the other smaller buildings around it. Games to refer to for the desert dome concept: Uncharted, God of War, Tomb Rider. Mr Kannan really prefers the temple in the swamp. He suggests locking down an idea ASAP to have a better focal point. 

WEEK 2 (5/9/2023)

To-do:
  • exercise
  • Project 1 proposal 



Lecture

Fig 2.1.1 W2 Lecture 
This week, we are exposed to the foundations of environmental design. We learn the thought process behind designing environments and buildings that are functional. Mr Kannan also introduced a line silhouette method to draw the base, which I will try out for the exercises. 

Fig 2.1.2 In-class demo

In Class Exercise 

This is the first time Mr. Kannan asked us to do in-class activities, and it's intimidating and refreshing at the same time. Immediately I got to try the line silhouettes. We were tasked to complete a drawing with the prompts given within 20 minutes. The prompts were medieval houses, mountains, and peaceful. 
We were given feedback on our line weight and scratchy lines. 

Fig 2.2.1


Project 1

Moodboard
I started looking up concepts and as much as I love urban landscapes, I felt like the forest and nature theme is calling out to me, so I went with it. My concept revolves around mystical forests and hidden mysterious buildings. 

Fig 2.3.1 Project 1 Moodboard
I had a blast sketching out these 
Fig 2.3.2 Bathhouse sketches 

Fig 2.3.3 Fortune telling hut sketches 


Feedback

  • can consider combining both ideas, and create scenes where both are separated by different elavations 
  • Continue building the fortune teller hut 
  • Choose a specific IP to solidify the direction, suggestions like Avatar & Legend of Korra. 

WEEK 3 (12/9/2023)

To-do:
  • composition studies
  • expand the buildings into sceneries. 
  • thumbnail sketches with gradient ambience 
Lecture

Fig 3.1.1 Composition Studies demo 

This week, we learned about the composition basics to provide more depth to an environment design. We were taught how to utilize perspectives and create planes to elevate certain buildings to make the environment look more dynamic. A lot of elements like theme and ambience need to be taken into consideration. 

Fig 3.1.2 Rule of thirds and golden spiral 

Fig 3.1.3 In-class demo 

Fig 3.1.4 Mr Kannan's work process 

With that in mind, I started building up some silhouette and composition studies. I also worked on values to provide some depth to the pieces. Most pieces I did were vertical, as I felt that it could potentially showcase my building more. 
Fig 3.2.1 Composition studies (thumbnails)

Here is the process of  the thumbnails:
Fig 3.2.2 thumbnail process
Moving on, I made more detailed sketches with value painting. I also added lighting at the end, and tbh it's not looking very flattering at the moment. While I enjoyed the process, I can't help but realise how similar my composition is for everything. 1,2 and 3 are all buildings on top of a plain and elements on the side. 

More references need to be studied and experimented with. It is also suggested to play around more with the scale of each composition, as well as to add motifs to make the overall look and feel more interesting. 
Fig 3.2.3 detailed composition study 


Feedback 
  • value is slightly all over the place, foreground is not dominant enough.
  • important to tell a story through the illustration 
  • start building the world with assets, symbols, logos, motifs. 
  • experiment with cascading - have an offset with buildings, and shift the weight of the building. 
  • too cluttered & cramped 
  • lookup more bathhouse elements 
Fig 3.3.1 Feedback composition example 

WEEK 4 (19/9/2023)

To-do:
  • study the environment of how to train your dragon, Arcane, puss in boots, spiderverse
  • study the lightscape (highlights)
  •  further sketch development thumbnails + photo bashing and value painting (coloured) 

Lecture 
Offset and cascading. Have the buildings be a bit more skewed. Take note of the stability of the building and if it makes sense. Always remember to add the human silhouette for scale reference.
fig 4.1.2 cascading and skewing effect 

We are also given more examples of offsetting to make the overall painting look more dynamic. It's interesting to see how little details are able to give more life to a building. 

fig 4.1.3 Offsetting and cascading 

Fig 4.1.4 segmentation


Fig 4.1.6 The power of photo bashing + overlay & soft light

Moving forward, I did more thumbnail sketches. Admittedly, the process was still taxing and snail-paced, but I realise that it has become easier and faster compared to the past weeks. I also tried the photo-bashing technique and was having a blast with it. 

However, I still found my composition and perspectives to be lacking. Something is missing, so I decided to work on a few more perspectives. 
fig 4.3.1 thumbnail sketches
Afterwards, I tried applying colour and lighting with the photo bashing technique and painting over it after. I am honestly shocked by the result. Though it was not polished in any way, it gave me a clearer picture of what I am trying to achieve. I really like the colours. 
fig 4.3.2 coloured values



Feedback
  • add and extend the building more. Add more assets. eg: statues, symbol 
  • be careful with the flowers. don't let it overpower the main building. 
  • Give the design more story & narrative 
4.4.1 week 5 feedback 

WEEK 5 (26/9/2023)

To-do:

  • finalise the main piece (hero asset) 
  • Create the overview that is best suited for the set.
  • work on assets of the building 
Fig 5.1 Composition demo 

This week, I started working on the details of the main piece (hero asset). Based on my selected IP, I wanted to make the piece dreamy, but filled with traditional Japanese elements. I also started looking into the type of materials I wanted each element to be. After giving it a composition sketch, I broke down the building into two parts to ease my design process. One would be the main gate, while the other is the bathhouse. I took inspiration from the Watatsumi Shrine from Genshin Impact and decided to work from there. The main gate is ironically more detailed than the main building itself because I was more inspired in that direction, but i think more details need to be added onto the main building as it is technically the main piece. 

fig 5.2.1 main building call sheet draft & mood board 

Moving on, I started sketching the little details and assets of the building. I think the design could be improved further by adding in more symbols, however, I do worry about the complexity being a problem when i actually have to work on the artwork. It's therapeutic now to add in details, but i just know it's going to be hell later... 

fig 5.2.2 assets and details 

Feedback
  • do not finalise the designs yet, explore ad experiment as you go.
  • look for more references. Very detailed ones for every motifs and. 
  • come up with more expansion & exaggeration. 
  • look into overlapping & cascading. Thing about exagerrating parts. 
  • Expand the design based on the function. Showcase everything in a more fun.
  • plan the scale of the building, Form follows function. Think about the interior as well as the location/terrain its set in. 
  • come up with a blueprint/ floor plan/ map
  • try not to make the structure completely alien (the 壶 structure)

WEEK 6 (3/10/2023)

To-do:
  • expand and exaggerate 
  • more thumbnail sketches 
fig 6.1.1 workflow 

fig 6.1.2 functionality 
Expand, explore and elevate the design based on the functions. Sketch out a blueprint/map to identify the functions. Materials, assets and aesthetics will come after. When compositing, think about the cascading that provides some rhythm to the overall look and feel. 
fig 6.1.3 quick thumbnail sketches 


We are suddenly going back to the thumbnail grind. After identifying the functions of each part of my building, i worked on more perspectives and composition. I also tried out photo bashing again to give an ambience to the overall look and feel of the piece. 
fig 6.2.1 Week 7 progress

Feedback
  • compile very detailed reference photos of each part 
  • add more props as details 
  • look at the values 
  • experiment & explore with the little functions of each mechanism 
  • instead of water coming out of windows, can consider pipes
  • Perspective 3 looks good to go for. Perhaps can add perspectives 2 and 3 together. 

WEEK 7 (10/10/2023)

To-do:
  • polish up everything for submission 
fig 7.1.1 project 1 submission expectations 

fig 7.1.2 value painting example 

I spent the week compiling my exercises and progression for the first submission. I added a colour palette based on my IP, giving the main piece a cooler tone than its original brown. I quite like the splash of colour, actually. 
fig 7.2.1 Colour management


Final Outcome 

Exercises: Technical, Digital Matte Painting Sensibilities

Project 1: Exterior and Landscape Design

WEEK 8 (17/10/2023)

This week, I started polishing up my progress from the past weeks. I started by recompositing my thumbnails with the current-kind of more finalised design. I also shaded them in b&w to give it more value and depth. I tried out different angles and finally settled on the one that I felt could showcase the building and tell a story the best.

fig 8.1.1 composition value painting
Next, I started painting them with the colour scheme from last week. I feel that it managed to capture the Watatsumi Island vibes. However, all sketches are still pretty messy now, and will be a pain to clean up after... Besides that, I also attempted some ambience lighting by trying to envision the location when its dark. 
fig 8.1.2 coloured version
fig 8.2 Ambience lighting 

WEEK 9 (23/10/2023)

This week, I went back to work on my hero assets. I worked on the side views of the 2 new buildings at the side and also gathered more references to better visualise the materials and features of each part of the building. I find it challenging to be consistent with the details, and struggled with how detailed I wanted them to be and whether I could keep up with it in the long run. 
After some reflection, I feel that they could use a bit more cascading to look more dynamic. 
fig 9.1 hero assets

Feedback
fig 9.3. extension feedback 
  • expand certain parts to make it look more polished 
  • add in unique symbols & identity 
  • be careful with the usage of purple as it may blend into the night 
  • choose another colour for the pier
  • for rocks & natural elements, good to retain their original natural colour. 
  • clean up the sketch, extend it a little and ready to submit :D

WEEK 10 (31/10/2023)

After the feedback, I worked on polishing up the ambience and the overall exterior splashart plan. I changed up some colours according to the feedback. Overall the 2nd attempt at ambience looked softer and more cohesive than the last. 

fig 10.1.1 ambience attempt 2

Next, I cleaned up the lines but the more I did it the more I felt like I needed to block out the 3D. I might actually do it, but perhaps for my final. Now, this is how it looks. I also added in some props to give it a more complete look. Though I think I will polish it up further for the final submission.


Final Outcome 

Project 1: Exterior and Landscape Design

Reflection

This project has been a journey and I am its punching bag. It made me reevaluate my love for illustrations for real. However, painting backgrounds has always been a fear of mine and this module made me step out of my comfort zone and start drawing buildings and environments. The thumbnail sketches has been a great exercise to give shape to the ideas in my head and effective in the ideation process. Breaking down the hero assets also gave me much insight into how each part of the building works and whether it makes sense. Overall it was a pleasant learning experience and I am optimistic about what's to come. 

Comments