Game Art: Project 2

Week 10 - Week 12
3/11/2023 - 17/11/2023
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD 62004/ GAME ART

Instructions

Project 2: 3D/2D Character & Environment

WEEK 10 (3/11/2023)
This week, I added details to my character. I gave her boxing gloves to fit her parcel punch identity. I also refined certain details, mainly her clothing folds. Her letter bag was sculpted as well, adding asymmetrical elements into her overall design. 
fig 10.1 W11 sculpting progress
Next, I tried out different colour schemes for my character. I was having trouble with shiny skin materials for light coloured skin, but that problem has since been solved after the discovery of the skin shade 4 material. 
fig 10.2.1 colour schemes 
There was also an attempt to sculpt the mouth which turned out...not so great. I will re-attempt in the following week. 
fig 10.2.2 failed mouth attempt

Feedback:
  • make the skin tone paler
  • change her hair colour to dark blue and add some highlights 
  • give her face more colour details like blush 
  • play with the lighting 
  • try out substance painter
WEEK 11 (10/11/2023)
To-do 
  • Download Substance Painter and try out
  • refine character model, add gradients 
  • sculpt assets based on the environment 
  • refine arena & polish up assets (3 types for each asset)
  • retopo , project & UV before moving to substance  
  • try out mixamo rigging
  • try out Daz 3D
  • Marvellous 3d (for garments)
  • dragonbones 
This week, we had a quick crash course on the basics of Adobe Substance Painter. It looked like a very fun programme to venture into. We were also introduced to many 3d modelling software and tools. 
fig 11.1 Substance Painter tutorial 
To prepare for our impending doom, we downloaded and tested out TopoGun. Going in completely blind, we were pretty surprised to find out that the process of retopo actually requires the vertices to be made one by one. We looked up a bunch of tutorials on how each tool works and how to get started, then tested each one out.  
fig 11.2.1 topogun try out 
From the previous week's feedback, I refined my character further in terms of her face and colours. I think I like her a lot better like this. I also gave her thick brows, she looked a lot cuter than before. 
fig 11.3.1 Character refinement 

Moving on, I started blocking out my arena. I'm doing the Christmas Santa's workshop instead of my post office since I find the assets to be more fun to make. I looked up tutorials on how to make presents and candy canes, but due to time constraints, I only managed to work on a very rough blockout. The area is still quite deserted. 

fig 11.3.2 Arena block out 

Feedback:
  • continue to block out the arena 
  • work on the props for the character 
  • paint over effects for the character in the splash art
  • give the character a lighter skin tone (as her clothing are already dark warm colours)
WEEK 12 (17/11/2023)
To-do 
  • look up references when retopo 
  • retopo model
  • UV unwrap in blender
  • paint model in substance
  • download unity
This week, we were taught the fundamentals of Topogun to work on retopoeing our model. It was emphasized that we must look up references and work from there. The overall process seems like a long therapeutic pain that will kill me slowly from the inside.
fig 12.1 topogun tutorial 
To start the process, I did final refinements on the model. I enlarged the gloves slightly to give them more emphasis as one of her main attack modes (i decided that approx 0.1minute ago). Also gave her some eye lids. I think she's looking cute.

fig 12.2.1 sculpting refinement

I also changed her skin tone after last week's feedback. I'm still a sucker for the darker shade but I understand how it's not the best choice. I finally found a tone in between that I like. Parcel punch now looks like this: 
fig 12.2.3 parcel punch turntable
Moving on to my arena, I looked up some assets that I can use from sketchfab to save time. I found some teddy bears, snow globes, reindeer and signage. I continued sculpting and compositing the arena, as well as coming up with the concept of how it works. 

fig 12.3.1 Teddy bears from sketchfab

fig 12.3.2 arena sculpting 


Final Outcome 

Project 2: 3D/2D Character and Environment (Porting and Testing)



Reflection

We have reached the mid sem-crisis part of the cycle where it feels like you're not progressing but you're progressing but are you really? Game Art and Digital Matte Painting being on the same day AND on a Friday is not good for my general well-being. I made a lot of progress polishing up the work from project 1 and started to use external assets and materials to make my life easier. I don't really have much to talk about, I just want to continue the grind and make more progress, hopefully. 
This module takes a lot patience, I just hope it doesn't drown me. 

Comments