Intercultural Design: Tokyo Study Trip Reflection

Week 5
6/2/2023 - 11/2/2023
Leong Jiahui / 0353469
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media
GCD 61304 / INTERCULTURAL DESIGN
Tokyo Study Trip Reflection


Okay
Admittedly, I was more excited about writing this before it was made mandatory. Now, this just feels like homework, but I digress. 

The Itenenary

This has been the kind of unexpected trip that came too fast and was over too quick. Never have I ever expected an experience and opportunity like this as part of the university module and needless to say, it was a memory that will stick with me for a lifetime.
fig 1.1.1 Omikuji at Sensoji Temple
The trip felt very free and easy, with the mandatory places mostly occupying only half of the days. The best mandatory location we visited was no doubt Team Labs Tokyo! The works showcased challenges the traditional concept of arts and galleries, providing an immersive experience. Worth every last penny we spend on the ticket. Odaiba as a whole was also an unserious silly little town that I found very charming. I mean, there's literally an entire Statue of Liberty there.
fig 1.1.2 Unserious people in an unserious town
Besides the 21_21 Design studio that felt like a waste of time & money, the places we visited with the school were all amazing and eye-opening! However, it would be better if we knew the ticket prices in advance so we could prepare enough money. 
On top of that, we were given a lot of time to do whatever the hell we wanted so that's fun. I was honestly expecting this to resemble a school trip but honestly we had way more freedom than I thought we would. Was a bit disappointed that the visit to the university was cancelled, though! Would've been really cool to be able to visit. 

The Data Collection

Getting around Tokyo was hella convenient, with the transportation system being so mantap and Google maps being so easy to navigate. It helps that walking is one of the main ways of transportation. Plus the weather was perfect, making the endless walking much less tiring. However, the train tickets were EXPENSIVEEE. That was a part we all overlooked when budgeting. 
The places we visited as a group for our data collection were Sensoji Temple, Akihabara, Ikebukuro and Gotokuji. With Sensoji Temple already being part of the main itinerary, we checked off all the locations in 2 days time!

fig 1.2.1 Sensoji Temple 

fig 1.2.2 Ikebukuro Gashapon Store

We got sucked into one of the arcades in Akihabara, saw these alienated-looking women on the cover of the photobooth and decided yeah we want that! And this is a video of us frantically trying to turn off the scary filters with not much success. 
fig 1.2.3 The Power of Akihabara

Meet my favourite place we visited during our entire trip (DisneySea was among its competitors so yes, this place was just THAT GREAT) Gotokuji was a quiet little town 30 minutes away from Shibuya and the vibes were right out of a K-drama. Maybe I'm just a sucker for quiet cozy small-town vibes. Oh the things I would do to be able to revisit this place.
fig 1.2.3 Gotokuji Temple 
fig 1.2.4 Gotokuji Temple 

fig 1.2.5 Streets of Gotokuji
It felt safe travelling in Japan, even when going out at night. Though the number of times we saw police surrounding some drunk person, or a criminal, I can't be sure, is oddly high. (We saw it happen twice in the same area on different nights, which is 2 times too much if you ask me) Travelling as a group definitely helped me build to guts to go somewhere further, somewhere quieter or sketchier and do the things I probably will never get to do myself. 
fig 1.2.6 Gotokuji Temple
It's also my first time experiencing winter (AND SNOW!!) I think it's amazing that the trip brings us to a place not only culturally different from ours but has a different climate & weather to experience. Did I think I was going to die on Friday when it was snowing and raining and windy as hell? Yes. Will I do it again? Maybe. Just not when I'm going to Disney. Never go to theme parks without checking the weather forecast, kids. 

The Accommodation

Mycube Mystays was my first experience with capsule hotels and it was amazing! From its facilities to its location. 10/10. The fact that we took out the entire floor makes it all the better. Many fond memories were made during the late nights of suppers and talking.

Final Thoughts

I was so consumed by rushing assignments when we got back that I haven't gotten the chance to truly reminisce about the trip, so looking back at it now I miss it extra much. It was a huge learning experience whether in terms of observational studies or basic life skills. Given the fact that the 16-year-old me thought the Tokyo subway map looked like the Microsoft Windows Pipe Screensaver, the fact that I managed to navigate it this time was a huge achievement on its own. A huge thank you to Mr Azrizal and Ms Anis for organising such an amazing trip for us. They're literally the most chill lecturers I know. I guess this is also where I praise Taylors' Curriculular system for this amazing module too? Not to mention the price was such a steal.
If you're having another trip next year for this module... Can I go again? Without retaking the module, of course. 

Comments

  1. I wanna give my big big hug and thanks a lot to Jia Hui (our excellent group leader) for taking such good care of us during our Japan cultural trip. You're were really pannai in using Google maps and able to guide us to every destination we wanted to go in Tokyo. Without you, we couldn't have completed this trip (for real) :.) And I really miss our convenience store food hunt and chat sessions in every night too. I'm so glad we got to know each other more in this semester. Looking forward to seeing you again next semester

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment