Design Principles - Final Compilation

Leong Jiahui   

0353469   
Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media

Design Principles   GCD60804AC182 

Exercises and Projects 


Compilation Showcase
fig 1.1 I will remember you 



Exercise 1 & 2: Design Principles 

Red

Smoking Dreams

Project 1: Self Portrait

Pieces of Me

Project 2: Sense of Place

Seconds Before Disaster 

Final Project: Visual Analysis

The Monsters in Me
fig 1.2 Final Project GIF 


Reflection 

WOW. These 7 weeks just flew by didn't it? I feel like I've just started the sem and now we're already at the end of sem 1. Goodness. So let's start.

What have I learnt in this module?
EVERYTHING. I was previously a science student that knows close to nothing about design theories and principles besides the BM ver of it that we've learned in Pendidikan Seni classes in Form 1 that I may or may not have paid attention to. Fast forward to now? I'm spitting out design principles like I'm spitting bars. I call that✨progress✨

On a serious note, I was really amazed by how much theory and principles go into every piece of artwork and how implementing them can enhance the artwork. 
Through all the visual research and idea exploration we're forced to do for every project, I've also learned a lot about planning an artwork and exploring other existing works to be used as references and inspiration for my own. 


What did I enjoy the most? 
The fact that this class is so chill?? No wait I'm not used to this. I'm used to the cramping 1 chapter a week and memorising procedures and writing lab reports and doing past year questions and having 3 quizzes a week ( and failing them ). But here? Mr Charles has got to be one of the most chill lecturers I've ever met and I meant it in a good way. Like, have you seen his collection of motivational quote T-shirts? "I Don't regret nothing today" and "Education is my Jam". Is it weird that I notice them? Maybe. But they're so cheesy and they make me smile, so thanks for the good vibes, sir.

Something I also enjoyed was that we get to use whatever medium we wanted for the projects. I finally forced myself to start working on digital art and I DID IT. AND ENJOYED IT. I enjoyed how I continued to push my own boundaries with every project and discovered something new along the way.


What did I not enjoy the most? 
That we needed to write a blog. On Blogger. I'm not big into the blog writing community so I may sound a bit ignorant right now, but who still uses blogger? Well, me, apparently. 

There are so better and friendlier platforms that are easier to navigate that could be used but here we are. On blogger. Where the font sizes and alignments go ham "just because", and you can't copy and paste images most of the time and have to manually download them and upload them. To be fair, it might very much just be a 'me' problem being a non-tech-savvy grandma, but god, it was frustrating to have to look up a bunch of tutorials and STILL can't figure shit out. ( I tried 3 different ways just to upload the clown gif as we speak) 
It doesn't help that "will blogger shut down" was one of the top searches on google. 

Every time I finish my shiny new project and am happy about it, the thought of having to write the blog just sends everything crashing down. Not the vibes.
I am fully aware that I just wrote a full-on rant about blogger on blogger, and I have come to accept that this is going to be my fate for the rest of my degree, so. 
Please look after my sanity from here on too, blogger. 


What have I learnt about myself through this module? 
That I'm so quick to judge. During the first class, I was devastated by how the class went. We barely learned anything (at the time only theory felt like learning something to me) and instead, we had to share our drawings for the lecturer to give feedback one by one. In reality, listening to feedback on others' work besides my own was learning too. I'm glad it didn't take me long to realise that at all and I ended up enjoying the rest of the classes and chiming in when my classmates shares their artworks. 

I've also learned how important it was to have friends and company in classes, especially now in a virtual setting. We get to stress about our assignments and projects together and give each other feedback on discord. It was a fun time and I'm forever grateful.


What has changed and what has not in my learning journey? 
Something that has changed would definitely be my sanity my ability to reach out and seek feedback and opinions on my work to improvise them. I used to only keep my work to myself until it was completed. Others' views and perspectives on my work are different and while they may be irrelevant sometimes, most times they're really helpful for learning and discovering new ideas. I don't necessarily have to like or use their ideas, but it's always good to seek different opinions and perspectives on my work. The most important thing is that I ask the right people. 

Something that (thankfully) hasn't changed would be my stubbornness. Once I set my mind on something, I DO IT. Try a full digital art? YES. Do extra details? NO PROBLEM. Animate? OKAY.
The outcome comes second. The most important part is that I try my best and don't quit. 
Bring it on, Blogger. 


What could be improved in this module?
Please use a different platform for blogs 
While I love and understand the emphasis on the feedback sessions in this module, I feel like it's a bit too much. 4 hours of feedback? AND 2 times a week? We ended up always being able to leave early every class since, well, we didn't need 4 hours of feedback, especially when Mr Charles can be reached on Telegram anytime anywhere (that's very nice of you sir I really appreciate you doing this outside of class hours) 
I think it'll be nice to at least have 1 hour of activity in the class before the feedback sessions whether related to the assigned projects or not. For example in one of the classes, Mr Charles actually played us music and we were required to draw how we felt about the tunes while implementing design principles in them. It was fun and we get a deeper understanding of the design principles. 


Final Words? 
Design Principles was a fun ride. A bumpy beginning and a lot of close calls and a lot of procrastination. It was a very interesting and eye-opening introduction to my Creative Media degree and I couldn't have asked for a better lecturer than Mr Charles. 
Till we meet again! xoxo

Comments